WON'T START

1986 Nissan Van

1986 Nissan Van 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 16800 miles

Truck would't start, I found the timing chain tensioner, and the guide broken. Replaced chain, tensioner, and guide. Tried to start, but no start. I checked for spark, and it has spark.I dumped a little gas down throttle body, and still no start. It just spins over, like it has no spark, or gas, or like the timing chain is broke. The engine is a Z24. What am I doing wrong?
Pb4ugo

NAPZ engine 8 plug

Maybe you got the valve timing off-Did you put engine no.1 piston on its compression stroke/TDC and line the cam and crank up before installing the timing chain

Yes I lined the crank, and the cam, up just like the book said to. Both keyways straight up, and the cam gear set in the #2 hole. I can turn the motor over, with the #1 plug out, and watch it spark. It sparks at top of compression. Am I still missing something?

Pb4ugo
You sure its not on the exhaust stroke before you line it up

The intake valve closes, then the crank rolls around to 0 on the timing marks. Then all the marks line up. Is this wrong?

Pb4ugo
I checked for spark,and it has spark.I dumped a little gas down throttle body,and still no start

Did it combust and died out?

Did you line it up like this see below and where is the rotor pointing at

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_timing_z24_1.jpg

Yes I lined it up just like that. The rotor is pointing at #1 intake plug.

Pb4ugo