ENGINE HESITATION SPLUTTERING

1981 Nissan Van

1981 Nissan Van 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 180000 miles

My 1981 carberated nissan urvan is having a problem when under power to the extent that it canot be driven at all. While parked and the accelerator is depressed the engine splutteres and coughs with only enough power to build up the revs slowly but it is able to keep the revs with no problem its only while trying to accelerate, it even starts perfectly. I thought it might have been the fuel pump so I have replaced the old mechanical pump with an electrical pump and have checked flow and pressure.
Dividedmonkey

Could be the carb's accelerator pump and power valve problem. When was the last time you gave it a tune-up?

We've only just bought it and the old owners claimed to have had it tuned recently but chances are they didnt. The problem is pretty much at any throttle position above idle not just WOT, it does it at even 10% open if that helps. So does this mean pulling down the carb and cleaning everything and replacments or is it an adjustment?

Dividedmonkey
Chances are they didnt. Give it a tune-up and go from there.