PICKUP STARTER/ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

1990 Nissan Truck

Hello there, I have a electrical diagnosing question. My 1990 nissan pick-up (4 cyl, 2wd, manual trans, KA24E engine, odometer unknown) has been having intermittent slow/weak starts for a week or so and then finally refused to start at all. The battery is fine so I figured the starter was to blame. After removing the starter I applied 12 volts directly to the terminals of the starter to check it and it didn't engage or turn or make any sound. I then checked the two leads with a volt meter and saw there was 12 volts across them even when the key was off. When I turned the key to the start position the voltage dropped to zero!Does this sound normal? I was wondering if I should look for a relay or check the ignition switch before I install a new starter. Hope I have given enough information for a reply! Thanks
Richypoo

What is your battery open voltage reading?

The battery voltage is 12 volts

Richypoo
If you wanna go for a quick fix, change the solenoid or get a new starter. As per your batt. Try and get it up to 12.5 volts.

On the starter big terminal you should have power at all time, when you are on the start position on the key, the little wire should have power to it atleast little over 12v. And goes away when you release the key.

Thanks i'll check that out

Richypoo