MULTIPLE CODES//NO ACCELERATION

2001 Nissan Sentra

2001 Nissan Sentra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 245000 miles

I've been going to my local shop for aprox 2 months now (not a nissan dealership as they charge too much for diagnosis). They have a few ideas as to what they think is wrong with the car, but dont want to fix anything yet just to make sure. My Mech does not want to buy parts that may not even fix the issue.
So. Code read outs are:
engine mis-fire
too lean (bank 1)
Code 24 (we have no idea what this is as the computer saye " see svc manual" )
and the TPS sensor

Car symptoms are:
I cant accelerate AT ALL.I have to tap the gas lightly to get to 40km/h. Not even the speed limit on the side roads. The hwy-FORGET IT. The engine bogs when giving it gas. If I floor the pedal---nothing goes to the engine. And the engine doesnot even rev---no RPM change. Also, the engine will sometimes shuddler and violently shake when at 2000rpm while driving slow. One day I thought it was going to explode or drop from my car. Thats how violent the shaking was.

What could this be? How can we test the parts without replaceing them. Cause I dont want to purchase parts I dont need!

Urgently needing help!
Bastardgirl

Engine mis-fire
too lean (bank 1)
and the TPS sensor

Do not replace any parts just yet.
Have your mechanic check your timing. Your timing (in my opinion) is too advance. That is what P024 stands for. It will also cause the engine misfire.

Clean your MAF sensor and intake air temp sensor. Also make sure that you don't have any leak in the vacuum system. Any of these will set off the system too lean condition.

Also have them do fuel pressure test on the fuel rail making sure that you get the right fuel pressure.

Let us know.

Zackman
They already played around with the timing and cleaned out the sensors. They found a leak in the vacuum and fixed it. They also did a fuel pressure check. Many parts were taken out. Cleaned, and replaced. Nothing changed.
Is there anything else that may need to be checked?
Is it possible that the PCM is fried? How can we tell?
Is there any specific test for the Sentra SE to tell if the computer is fried? Can this be causing all my symptoms?

Sometimes, the car runs better. With more acceleration being able to drive it on the Hwy. Then a few days will pass and it will get soo bad that its not safe to drive period. It varies btn these 2 states.

They are all boggled--I even took it to another mechanic for another opinion. He is also boggled as he chkd the same parts.

I may have a transmission issue, but I'm hoping that the tranny is just acting up due to the poor driving condition of the car. The tranny symptoms keep changing on me. From a slipping gear, to throwing itself into gear hard. For now, its pretty smooth except due to poor acceleration it cant get into gear--it's working like it's confused!

Thank you for your help,
Irene

Bastardgirl
If your PCM is fried, the car would not even run at all. After discussing with other Sentra enthusiasts, we came to the agreement that you need to check your camshaft position sensor. '00 - '01 SR20DE engines are plagued with bad cam sensor. So have that tested.

I don't think you have issues with the transmission. It is probably acting up due the engine mis-performing.

Zackman
Thanks for the info.

My car is practically not running. That's why I was going to get the PCM tested tomorrow by Nissan, but I hate taking my car to the dealerships.

I will run that info by my mechanic.
Wouldn't this have shown up on the code read out? How would the cam sensor be tested without having to buy a new one inorder to find out?
Can be that easy that only 1 sensor needs to be taken care of to stop all these issues?

(FYI-both O2 sensores are new-aftermarket- )

I'm extreamly frustrated & exhausted with this issue. I wish I knew more about cars. Then maybe I wouldnt be so flusterd.

I am really thankfull for all your suggestions.
Thanks,
Irene

Bastardgirl
A lot of times, the cam sensor gives out reading. And for as long the reading is within range, PCM sees it as " operating within normal parameter". The problem that most Nissan vehicles experience is that the voltage and resistance of the sensor so fluctuates erratically that the result of the PCM trying to compensate is shown as " gas, no gas, more air, oops, less air, gas, more air, less gas, .&Quot; You get the picture. That translates to the car bogging down, won't go faster than certain speed. And as far as the PCM goes, it sees the cam sensor works within its range.

You don't have to buy a new one just yet. You don't even have to pull it out of the bell housing. Just check the voltage of the connector. I am not at home, so I don't have access to the specs. The older SR20DE spec is 5.0 volts on the connector, and the resistance is within 166 to 204 ohms.

If the specs are out of range, you will get codes for cam sensor, usually P0010 through P0025. Wait a minute. You do have P0024. That stands for " B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 2). I just noticed that. There, you have just diagnosed the problem.

Zackman
AWESOME!

I will keep my fingers crossed. Going to test the reading on that sensor tomorrow. I really hope that this is it.I cant take the car running this way any longer.

I will keep you posted on the outcome of this.

Irene : )

Bastardgirl
Well. Acording to my Mechanic. Everything was already chkd.

I give up on the car.I'm getting another one.
He is flustered with my car. And so am I.

Thanks for ALL the info!
Much appreciated!

Bastardgirl
I am sorry it didn't work out. I hope you find a better car than what you have now.

Zackman