INTERMITTENT STARTING PROBLEM

1996 Nissan Maxima

My friends 1996 3.0 v6 Nissan Maxima 125000 miles with a standard trans will sometimes engage the starter and sometimes not.
We have cleaned the battery connections and put in a new one. We checked the wires on the starter relay. The ground connection coming from the clutch switch works every time, as does the power connection from the ignitioin switch. The large gauge positive wire going to the relay does not get power when it won't start. When it does power goes to the relay and to the other large gauge wire which connects to the starter solenoid.
Is there another relay that controls battery power to the large gauge wire connected to the starter relay or does he need a new ignition switch?
This really has me stumped. Thanx for any help you can give.
Texacejr

I have 1996 3.0 v6 Nissan Maxima 175000 miles with a standard trans and sometimes starter will engage and sometimes not. This problem has gotten progressivally worse over the last couple years. I installed a new starter about a year ago. When it doesn't start, you hear no clicks from relays or the starter. This lead me to believe that the ignition switch was bad. But after see another post where they installed a new ignition switch and it still didn't work, the guy tried putting some electrical tape in the keyway hole of the igition switch. This is not the key hole, you have to take the molding off around the stearing column and then remove two small philips screws and the plastic switch comes off. There is a T-shaped keyway that goes into a slot on the ignition switch. So I lined the hole with a couple small pieces of electral tape and presto, Works like a champ (without spending a cent).
Thanks to the guy who had to buy the ignition switch and find this out though trial and error.
Paul

Pstorck
Trust me on this one it will work. Take your starter out and clean the shaft that the gear runs on and then grease it good. I did this on my 1996 maxima and it worked.

Oakley1805205