SE ENGING KNOCKING & DEALER SERVICE

Nissan Altima

My 1998 Nissan Altima SE with about 125,000 has a very noticeable but small knocking sound coming from the engine, especially when the car is sitting still, like at stop lights and in the drive-thru. It isn't a clanking just a small knocking. I had someone take it in to the dealer (big mistake) on Monday to get rid of the knocking. I work during the day. They charged me for " Steering/Suspension by replacing left and right front sway bar links and replacing left and right front acle (I think they meant axle) boots. They charged me also for repair kit, rod assy-connec, nut, washer-special, bushing-rubber and bolt". I drove the car on yesterday, Tuesday, and it is still knocking. I am definitely going take it back. I spent hundreds of dollars for this work and feel like they didn't even fix the problem, but charged me for things that didn't fix the problem. What could be the problem and what is the best solution for dealing with the dealer? This is my first bad experience with them. This might be the last time I go to them.
Erickad

There must be more dummies per cubic yard at that dealer-ship than anywhere else I have seen.

Anyone knows a front end can't knock sitting still. First determine if the knock is from the valve cover area, the bottom of the engine or the timing belt area. Take a long screwdriver and use it as a listening device by putting the handle in your ear and the metal on the suspected knock area.

Losone