HOWLING NOISE WHEN DRIVING

2006 Nissan Altima

Noises problem
2006 Nissan Altima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 68500 miles

My Altima creates a low howling noise that gets louder at higher speeds. I believe it to be my tires, but I am still unsure of the cause. Depending on the road the howling is louder or quieter which leads me to believe it is tires. It seems to be louder in the rear. I just took it in for an alignment and the tech told me that it was pretty badly out of alignment. Either way can I assume that it is probably the tires with possibly uneven tread or should I be looking for another cause?
Pfhobia

Look at tires tread uneven run hand over tire feel cupping uneven tread? Tire wear excessive on inside or outside? Tire pressure at specs?

Docfixit
It may be more than road noise. You may have the same problem I had. It could be a rear hub going bad. I thought I had road noise. The humming got louder with time and was becoming anoying. I jacked up the car and spun both rear tires to see if I could hear any noise. The left rear tire make a sound so I pulled the wheel and removed the hub. Easy job but now I have real problems which I think are problems Nissan builds into their cars so people will always take their car to the dealer and not do repairs them selfs. Read my post: (Brakes problem
2002 Nissan Altima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 71000 miles). Sounds like you are having the same problem. The road noise stays pretty consistant no matter what road surface I wan on. JimmyMac

JimmyMacRN