CHANGING ALTERNATOR

2005 Nissan Altima

2005 Nissan Altima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 87000 miles

Need help changing alternator. I have changed several on old cars but I'm not sure if it comes out the top or bottom. Also what all has to be loosened/takin off for it to come out
Crazycrick

Here is the order in which you will want to remove this alternator.
1. Disconnect the battery
2. Remove the engine undercover
3. Remove the radiator (instructions below)
4. Remove your drive belt (instructions below)
5. Remove your enigne idler pulley
6. Disconnect the alternator wires
7. Remove the alternator adjustable top mount
8. Remove alternator lower bracket
9. Slide the alternator out, you should have plenty of room

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/294900_Alternator_1.jpg

Radiator Removal
1. Drain coolant from radiator
2. Disconnect your upper and lower radiator hoses.
3. Remove your transmission cooler lines from the radiator and plug the lines.
4. Disconnect the reservior tank hose
5. Remove the radiator mounting brackets
6. Remove the radiator and radiator fan assembly

Drive Belt Removal
1. Drive belt tension is relieved by using a wrench or ratchet and socket to turn tensioner bolt, see tensioner location in picture.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/294900_Drive_belt_35L_1.jpg

Let me know if you need any more info.

Gfimotorcars
And this is for a 05 Altima V6 correct. The MB symbol confussed me. Sounds like taking the radiator off is the big problem. Is that correct? Thanks for all the help. Sounds like it's going to be a job

Crazycrick
That is correct. The MB symbol is for my repair shop here in California, we specialize in MB vehicles, but work on all makes. But yes this is for an 05 Altima 3.5L V6. It will be a bit of a job but don't let the radiator removal discourage you. It actually is not terribly difficult and is really only held on by a couple of upper retainers that are easily removed from the upper radiator support. After you disconnect the hoses and transmission lines the radiator and fan will pretty much just slide out. But all in all this will be a good days work if your not familiar with the vehicle.

Gfimotorcars
I got the alternator changed. Now when I stop at a red light the heater goes cold. I figured out today that when I turn the AC and the recirculate off it doesn't do it. Any ideas? Thanks again

Crazycrick
Was this a previous issue or did this just start after the repair? If it happened immediately after the repair it is more than likely related to the repair. Check your coolant level, a lot of times your system will burp after you fill it and drive awhile leaving room for much more coolant. Also check to make sure you have no leaks and that all coolant hoses are clear of kinks. Let me know what you find.

Gfimotorcars
I am trying to take out my alternator and cannot get to the bottom nut. It is stripped out and cannot get it off. Any ideas?

Jeremy_ldr