FLOOD DAMAGE

2003 Nissan Altima

2003 Nissan Altima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 95,000 miles

My car was in a flash flood and the interior was filled with about 6 - 8 inches of water. Outside the car, the water was about 2/3 the way up the wheel. The car sat in the water for about on hour and the interior took about 2 - 3 days to dry. The oil and tran. Fluid appear to okay, and the airbox is dry. The electric seat motors, air bag and seat belt sensors are being replaced, as well as the damaged upholstery. What other long term damage do I need to be aware of before signing a final agreement with the insurance company?
Awinzler

Hi awinzler,

Thank you for the donation.

Flood damages can take a long time to surface for items such as park brake cables, trunk and fuel lid cables and brake calipers. These would retain some water and over time the internals would rust causing the cables to seize or break. Brake pistons would tend to seize once rust sets in.

Anything that was submerged and is not properly dried would tend to fail over time.