NO ELECTRICAL STUFF WORKING IN MY CAR

1999 Nissan Altima

1999 Nissan Altima

i have 99 altima gle and a while ago i put the battery in wrong now in my defense both the cords were red so i wasnt sure which went where and i tried to start it and i saw smoke and smelt something burnt like and it was coming from the stereo area i checked and replace some of the fuses but none of the electrical appliance ( a.c,radio,powerlock/windows,signal,brake... wipers & horn) The alternator is also bad but i dont think thats the problem because before hand the alternator was bad and the stuff worked today i looked and saw there was about 3-4 wires ( orange,white,red,black) loose that were coming from the horn and looked as tho was suppose to be connected to the fuse panel inside the car .Can anyone help me and tell me what to do other than call a electrican i dont have the funds and i cant find a job so maybe we can tackle it together i know my way a bit around a car u can email me or send me your email address and i would respond THANKS in advance

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/361402_DSCN5753_1.jpg

Kshyent

Hi kshyent,

Thank you for the donation.

Check the fusible links underhood. Those are the main fuses and reverse connections of the battery would blow those fuses first.

Are there any components that is working?
Get an ohmmeter and/or test lamp to facilitate testings.

Sometimes the air conditioner would come on and the horn would sometimes too but thats very rare havent turned back on for about a month or two

Kshyent
Are you able to start the engine?
How do you know the alternator is bad?
Have you checked the fuses and ground circuit connections?

Yes, the engine does start once the battery isn't dead.

I know the alternator is bac because the battery dies a good much.

And no I haven't checked the ground circuits maybe you can instruct me on how to do that

Kshyent
After starting, get the charging rate checked first. If the alternator is charging but not getting to the battery, the problem is similar.

Is the cahrging indicator showing in the dash when engine is running?

Does it show when ignition is turned on?

You need to get the charging system fault resolved first as it can cause lighting and electrical component faults.

No nothing in the dashboard work none of the indicators. And the alternator was always bad but the electrical stuff just stoped working after the battery being put on incorrectly and then the smoke came from inside the car

Kshyent
This indicatres a power supply failure.

Main power supply is to Fuse E ( 100 A) in fusible link biox at left side of engine compoartment.

Use a test lamp to test fuse A, B, C and D for battery voltage. If no voltage are available, check Fuse E.

So even though my car still starts when a charged battery is in. The main fuse which im guessing is the battery fuse can be broken and when I was testing the fuses a while back I saw that it didn't light up but the car started so I just figured it was the test light

Kshyent
Okayi checked the main power supply fusewith atest lamp its okay and also my car starts so it can't be the 100 a fuse If you need anymore information or need me to take pictures of the fuse boxes the one in the car and in the hood I can

Kshyent
We don't need any pictures yet and I guess we have to get to serious and step by step trouble shooting.

Is battery voltage present at all the fuses A, B, C and D?

Which of the following components works?

1. Headlights.
2. A/C blower.
3. Hazard lights.
4. Horns.
5. Brake lights.
6. Park/taillights.

Engine could be started with aid of jumper, with key or by jumping the starter solenoid?

Have you checked the ground circuit connections? Especially those behind the headlights on the inner fender.