POWER STEERING LEAKING/ CLUTCH LEAK

1985 Nissan 300ZX

Steering problem
1985 Nissan 300ZX 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 145000 miles

MY POWER STEERING HAS BEEN LEAKING FOR ABOUT A YEAR. I'VE JUST KEPT ON TRYING TO KEEP THE FLUID UP. WHAT IS THE USUAL CAUSE OF THE LEAK AND IS IT EASILY REPAIRED OR DO I HAVE TO TAKE IT TO A REPAIR SHOP AND WHAT WILL THEY DO AND COST?
MY CLUTCH IS IN THE SAME CONDITION. LEAKING SO I JUST KEEP THE FLUID LEVEL UP. IT'S STARTING TO LOOK PRETTY GOOEY ON THE BOTTOM OF THE CAR. IS THIS ALSO REPAIRABLE AT HOME OR DO I TAKE IT IN AND WHAT IS THE USUAL COST FIX SOMETHING LIKE THAT. THANKS FOR ANY INFO AND HELP, PAT
Pattayapat

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation.

The power steering leak will be something that you should take to a mechanic, if it is the pump or rack/box these are specialist repair items only, and most mechanics wont even touch them, they will get change over or sub let to a specialist shop. As for the clutch slave cylinder, this is something that you can do with basic hand tools and a bit of careful planing. You will have to remove the slave cyl, (normally two bolts and the hydraulic pip? Hose. If a pipe you should use at special spanner designed for this purpose. Fit the new cylinder and bleed the system. If you intend to do some basic maintenance, invest in a workshop manual, this will give all the information you need, and will make working on you car a pleasure rather than a pain.

Good luck.

Mhpautos