TIMING PROBLEM / WILL NOT START

1985 Mitsubishi Starion

1985 Mitsubishi Starion 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 251567 miles

I have just replaced rings and bearings in my engine "4G63 Sirius with Turbo" and fitted it back into the car. The car was running at roughly 30 degrees BTDC before I pulled it apart. I discovered that when I put a timing light on it.
Putting it back together I adjusted everything according to the book. Firing order 1-3-4-2.
I have lined up my balance shaft in the engine. I lined the crank shaft, oil drive and cam shaft up with the marks on the engine. I believe my distributor is set on no 1 and my no 1 piston is up TDC.
Now it sounds like it is 2 gears not meshing up when I turn it over but it does not fire or even backfire

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/561696_Timing_1.jpg

Wheels265

I believe my distributor is set on no 1 and my no 1 piston is up TDC.

If you're not sure go back and verify-make sure the piston no.1 is on the compression/TDC instead on exhaust stroke-then line all the sprockets to its marks-put belt/chain on-and then set the distributor in making sure the rotor is pointing to no.1 cap tower as you see in the repair manual.

Thank you for your prompt reply.
OK. I went back and rechecked my settings and yes they are correct. I think my problem is related to the fact that it was running at 30 degrees before TDC prior to me pulling it apart.
I did have a mechanic check my timing before I pulled the engine out and he said the setting it is on it is not possible to work, but I actually drove the car to the mechanic at that time. Since then I have had him come around but he could not remember what setting I did have it on and he could not get it to run either.
For some reason the engine will not work on the right settings.

Wheels265
IGNITION TIMING

Turn lights and all accessories off. Place transmission in Neutral. Run engine at idle speed until normal operating temperature is reached. Stop engine and connect tachometer and timing light. Start engine and run at curb idle speed.
Fig. 2: Ignition Timing Mark Location (Ignition Timing Mark On 1.8L Turbo Engine Is Similar)
On models with dual diaphragm-type distributors, disconnect and plug both hoses. Check timing with electric cooling fan disconnected, if equipped. Adjust ignition timing by loosening distributor hold down nut and rotating distributor. Unplug and reconnect hoses on models with dual diaphragm distributor. Reconnect electric cooling fan, if equipped.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_time_1.jpg