ALTERNATOR

2000 Mitsubishi Montero

2000 Mitsubishi Montero 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

On the way to work, my radio flicked on and off and the battery symbol light came on. I got to work and turned off the motor. I tried to start the car and all I got was clicking noises. I charged my battery with a charger and brought it to a major parts dealer. They did a battery test and told me my battery was going bad. I bought a new battery and installed it in my vehicle. When I restarted my car, it would start but it would immediately die. It didn't do this before I changed batteries. They ran another test, this time for the alternator. He told me my alternator was bad also. Will a bad alternator cause my car to die and why wasn't it doing it before I changed batteries?
TREEBEAR

The alternator keeps the battery charged. If the battery goes dead than it may be from a failing alternator. Since the new battery isn't keeping the car running though, most likely it is the connections at fault and not the battery or alternator. Check the connections to ensure they are clean and tightened properly, at both the battery ends as well as the alternator.