Mechanics

MITSUBISHI MONTERO BATTERY PROBLEM

2005 Mitsubishi Montero • 135,000 miles

2005 mitsubishi montero limited, had bad alternator replaced it, everything was good for 2 days, then the alt/battery light came off/on for 2 days then car died, replaced battery drove home, 3 miles from where we replaced battery alt/battery light came on again but made it home, took it up to advanced auto parts and they said alternator was "acting funny" he checked the connection and the nut that was on it was no longer there, went home and put a nut on it and now it won't start.
I have tried leaving the ignition on for 20 minutes then start it, it will start and rev up to about 2000 RPM's then slowly idle down and then die. Please Help !
Avatar
Brywood
January 2, 2013.



While working on the alternator, did you disconnect the battery terminals?
Did you try feathering the throttle to keep the engine running?

When battery terminals are disconnected, the engine computer loses its memory and if the idle control system is dirty, the idle would be excessively low and would result in engine stalling. It might take some running of engine for the computer to relearn and stabilises the idling speed.

Try cleaning the throttle body and retest. If the Malfunction Indicator Light is showing, scan for trouble codes and let us know the exact code.

KHLow2008
Jan 2, 2013.
Yes I did disconnect battery while working on alternator (right after it made a quick spark lol) yes tried feathering throttle and when I do it immediately dies.
Yeah I thought that it might be that way if I disconnected the battery cables, how long will it have to run for the computer to fix itself? What product should I use to clean throttle body?
Also the little compass screen in the car isn't working?

Tiny
Brywood65
Jan 3, 2013.
The sparking could have blown a fuse. You need to check them with a DVOM or test light. That could be the reason it is stalling. If it is an odle problem, feathering the throttle should not cause it to stall.

KHLow2008
Jan 3, 2013.
KHLow2008, thank you for your helpful information, it was the 120amp fuse under the hood, I replaced it and all is good THANX again !
Brywood

Tiny
Brywood65
Jan 4, 2013.
You're welcome.

KHLow2008
Jan 5, 2013.