GAS VACUM

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 96000 miles

2001 eclipse spyder gs. When I go to put gas in it clicks off like its full so I have to stand there and click gas in it for it to take it. If I barely hold in on the nozzle it will take it for a second then click off so it takes me like 20 min to pump $10 in gas. It seems like if I could get the gas pump to slow way down I could probably get it to go steady but as for now it wont take the gas unless I stand there and keep sqeezing the nozzle and its a pain. My huspand has checked all the rubber vacum lines and clamps and they all seem fine I was wandering what else would cause it to act like its full and click off.I also noticed that it doesnt have a flapper when I take off the gas cap like most other cars and I was wandering if that would have anything to do with it? I would appreciate it if u could help me. Thanks
Sassymomma26

Is the fuel fill hose kinked? How about obstructed, try too look down it with a flashlight.

If thats good then you should suspect a fautly fuel vapor check valve on the tank, a cracked hose for the emission control system. Or a faulty carbon/charcoal canister.

Blackop555
MY HUSPAND CHECKED THE HOSES THAT HE COULD SEE AND HE SAID HE COULD SEE ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE TANK. BUT WE DONT KNOW IF THE FLAPPER HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. CAUSE IT DONT HAVE ONE. IS THERE ANY OTHER LINES THAT HE WOULDNT BE ABLE TO SEE THAT COULD BE MESSED UP OR SOMETHING? AND WHERE IS THE FUEL VAPOR CHECK VALVE? AND THE CHARCOAL CANISTER? I APPRECIATE THE INFO. MY HUSPAND IS A MECHANIC BUT HE IS USED TO WORKING ON AMERICAN CARS LIKE CHEVY AND FORD AND THIS IS OUR FIRST IMPORT SO HE IS KINDA PUZZLED. THANKS

Sassymomma26
Theres not the old style flapper much anymore. There is a anti-theft ones now that prevent gas from being siphoned out. If you can see down into the tank then its not plugged for sure.

The check valve is on the top of the tank, follow the vapor line to the tank, connects right to it.

Blackop555