HELP!!! FRUSTRATED!!!

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse

Shakes or Wobbles problem
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 96000 miles

The front end of the car vibrates when it goes between 25 to 30 mph. I took it to a mechanic last week to have him take a look. At first he told me that I got a bad engine mount and one of the CV shafts need to be replace that will cost me around 350 dollars. Then later he called me back and told me that they couldn't eliminate the vibration and it's coming from the transmission. I was upsat because I suspect they're trying to rip me off with unecessary repairs. What could possibly gone wrong? I did my oil change on the transmission at 90k miles.
Simoncww

Engine mounts on our cars do wear out, so that could be a possibility. I would wait on doing that though to see if it gets worse.

I would jack it up, spin the wheel and check bearings and then inspect/rotate your tires. An unbalanced wheel or a bad tire would also cause vibration. One flat tire on our cars can ruin the tire and cause a bulge that if its on the niner side of the car you won't be able to see -- that sucks.

CV joints do the clicking when you go around a turn. I can't rememnber if its a hard left or right turn or both. But that is the traditional sign. So if you don't hear that -- then I wouldn't get the CV worked on. And they'll click and be in going bad condition for thousands of miles. So there is no urgent need to jump o that.

Monty Stephens
I would definitely look at your wheels, tires, sounds like you have a bad tire or a wheel out of balance. Maybe lost a wheel weight.

Racnrog
My 2000 gt at 130,000 miles is doing the exact same thing but the vibration is mostly coming from passenger side, front end! All of my wheels & tires were looked at, balanced and aligned & that is not the problem. I just also replaced the passenger side with new wheel bearing, axel, the bearing and seals where the axel and intermediate shaft connect replaced, lower ball joint and etc. A few hundred dollars later the car is no better : ( I was told by numerous mechanics they had no idea and one told me it was the tranny, I spoke with a tranny expert in my area & they said they had never, ever heard of such a thing. Anymore suggestions?

Juliemorgan