MG TF CLUTCH PROBLEM

MG TF

MG TF 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

1954 MGTF with 320,000 miles! Car was running beautifully. While going through an intersection at 15 miles per hour and downshifting, I lost the use of all my gears. The clutch pedal is still operating, as is the gear shift lever. I can feel the gears going into place when I shift. Any suggestions of what this might be. It engine operates as if it's in neutral. The clutch was not slipping or showing signs of wear. I've attached a schematic of the clutch and gear box.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/565433_CLUTCH_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/565433_GEARS_1.jpg

Rickydee

Hi
Get car up on jack stands place in neutral rotate rear wheel does out out flange on trans turn? No noise when this happened?
Let me know
Thanks for donate
Had restored a TB TC and TF
Do you live in FL?

Docfixit
Dear Docfixit,

We pushed the car home from where it was and the transmission turns. There is nothing wrong with the universal flange and joint connections. There was a loud " pop" at the moment of trouble, and then there was no longer a connection to the transmission when the clutch was pushed in. The loud "pop" when I let out the clutch, and when the car lost power tells me it may be a spring loaded clutch has sprung. The transmission and motor run like the day that they were made. So where should I start to look first?

Rickydee
Opps forgot to mention that we are located in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Congrats on the MG restorations. I've had this car since 1967.

Rickydee
Are you going to pull trans? Will you be removing floor and foot ramp? You can gain access to inspection plate for clutch adjustment see what went wrong. Another possiblilty is broken input or lay shaft.
I live in Cocoa couple hours from you

Docfixit
Pulled out the floorboards to get a good look at the inspection plate over the clutch and removed the cover to the gear box. All the gears are shifting fine, the shaft is in place, the universals are turning and functioning fine. So it looks like the problem must be something inside the clutch plate assembly. Do you agree? I'm at the point of dropping the trans. Any tips to save me grief?

Rickydee
Nothing special will need jack with block of wood under sump to hold engine. Take time and some bolts will be B.S. Or Wentworth size. You should be O.K. If you use a mix of S.A.E. And metric

Docfixit
Pulled the gearbox and all looked in perfect shape. Moving forward, removed the clutch plate assembly and found one of the springs holding one of three release levers inside the clutch plate assembly had shifted position and had stopped the lever from functioning. Used a screwdriver to move the spring back, reinstalled the clutch plate assembly, slid the gear box back into place, dropped the MG off the jack stands, turned on the key, pulled the starter, engine roared into action and the old timer slipped flawlessly into first gear.

Thanks for your help and support.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/565433_43928915_1_1.jpg

Rickydee
Excellent news That is a Beautiful Car drive it with pride and a BIG smile

Docfixit