MOTOR SHAKING AND MAKING A CLICKING NOISE

Mercury Tracer

1994 Mercury Tracer Trio 1.9 154,000 miles
My motor has just started shaking a couple of days ago. It also makes a clicking noise. It does this at random times (the shaking) and it doesn't matter if the engine is cold or hot. The shaking will last about 10-15 seconds. Replaced the spark plugs and wires hoping that would solve the problem but it didn't. Also, unplugged each new spark plug seperaltly for a moment while the car was running to see if it might be the cylinder(s). Nothing. Please help. Thanks.
Kellie0727

Any accesories on when it happens? AC or Heater?

Merlin2021
No. And since then my car has gotten worst and is not driveable. I went to crank it and it done its shaking and I heard something break and hit something. I lifted the hood and while the car was still running and there was something knocking around in the motor. Somebody said it could be one of the cylinders but wasn't sure. You know that huge flat metal plate that covers the motor/engine, its under there-knocking around. It was low (very low, I'm ashamed to say) on oil at the time it broke and I didn't know it until after the fact.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/72222_2007_104_1.jpg

Kellie0727
Time to open it up. See whats bad.

Merlin2021
Ok, I opened it up and saw nothing that could be broken. Afraid to start taking stuff apart for fear I will not be able to put back together. I guess I'm stuck. Any suggestions? Does it sound like it might be a piston?
My neighbor knows a good bit about cars and he said he doesn't have a clue what it could be.

Kellie0727