REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER SWITCH & IGN.

1993 Mercury Tracer

1993 Mercury Tracer 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 92000 miles

1) Have not been able to locate the dash mounted rear window defrost sw. On any of the online parts catalogs. Thw switch is located abover the center A/C difussers. I need the switch and the plastic molded bracket that mounts the switch to the back of the instrument panel with two screws.
2) Also is it possible to order new ignition keys simply by the vin. No? I have a key now that fits (with a little jiggling) but not of sufficient quality to duplicate. I see that new ignition switches are quit pricey.
Chipmanw

Hello –

To better assist you is your model just the Tracer or the LTS and what is the engine size in liter?

Thank you very much for the donation

Have a very Merry Christmas and a safe New Year

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
Engine is 1.9L and the model is Tracer not the LTS model.
Thanks and Happy New Year to you as well!

Chipmanw
Hello –

Thanks for the info.

For engine size in liter you may be able to look at several of the decals under the hood. Many times they tell you. You may need to know that in the future for order parts etc.

Well I hate to say we don’t have access to that either. As you see from the pic below we show some switches but not that one.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Picture1_107.jpg

99% of the time for parts like this you either have to go to the dealer or junk yard. The switch I would purchase new…….from the dealer. The other part I would check the junk yard.

Yes on the keys. You go to the dealer parts department and bring in your vehicle registration and some ID so they can verify it is your car they are cutting the key for.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for the donation

Hope you had a very Merry Christmas and have a safe New Year

ImpalaSS
Hello –

Also, it looks like you may have a recall on your vehicle. The dealer may fix this for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on this to see if it applies to you.

STEERING LOSS FROM CRACKED OFFSET TOE ADJUSTING PIN
NHTSA RECALL BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 94E019000
Related Ref Number(s): 94E019000
ARTICLE BEGINNING
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION
Model(s): 1991 Ford Escort
1991 Mercury Tracer
1992 Ford Escort
1992 Mercury Tracer
1993 Ford Escort
1993 Mercury Tracer
Campaign No: 94E019000
Number of Affected Vehicles: 919
Beginning Date of Manufacture: 1992 DEC
Ending Date of Manufacture: 1994 MAY
SYSTEM
Suspension; independent front.
FAULT
Does not meet specs, Material, Heat treatment
EQUIPMENT DESCRIPTION
Offset rear toe adjusting pin.
DESCRIPTION OF DEFECT
The offset toe adjusting pin can fracture under conditions such as torsional loads, flexing motion, impact loads, and overtorquing.
CONSEQUENCE OF DEFECT
This can result in loss of vehicle steering control and an accident.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Dana will pay for replacement and labor costs of the adjustment pin without charge to the installing facility and the vehicle owner. These pins should be replaced by a Ford original equipment pin assembly. Owner or installer inquiries concerning this recall campaign should contact Dana Service Center at 1-800-248-9606.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
Hello –

Oh, one last thing. Please disregard the first sentence…. “For engine size in liter you may be able to look at several of the decals under the hood. Many times they tell you. You may need to know that in the future for order parts etc.”

I was working two at one time and put their note on yours……. Sorry.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS