ENGINE OVERHEATING

1993 Mercury Sable

Engine Cooling problem
1993 Mercury Sable Engine Size unknown Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 75000 miles

My daughter bought a '93 Mercury Sable that the person told them had a bad radiator (it had a hole in it)and overheating. I replaced the radiator and the thermostat, but the car is still overheating. It has plenty of coolant in it. When it get hot I can put my hand and the engine is hot, but the top radiator hose is still cool. I replaced the thermostat so I don't think that is the problem. The oil looks clean so I don't think it has a bad head gasket. There are no leaks below the water pump, but could the pump still be bad? A if so, how do I check it? And if that is OK then what could be causing the preblem?

Kubyrk

Open the radiator cap-start the car while idling look inside the radiator-is the coolant moving around? Also do this squeeze the upper hose and let go -did you see an increase of coolant flow-If not the water pump is defective-

You might want to bleed the cooling system. The cooling fan is it coming On?

Yes the fan is coming on. How do you bleed the coolant system? Never heard of that.

Kubyrk
Always bleed air from cooling system after replacing coolant. Set heater for maximum heat. Remove radiator cap. Loosen drain plug and remove drain bolt (if equipped) from engine block. Drain coolant reservoir. Fill coolant reservoir to MAX mark with 50/50 water-coolant mixture. Loosen bleed bolt and fill radiator up to base of filler neck. Close bleed bolt when coolant flows out without bubbles. Tighten bleed bolt. With radiator cap removed, start and operate engine to normal operating temperature. Add coolant if necessary and check for leaks.