MODELS BLACK SMOKE OUT TAILPIPE

1993 Mercury Other

1993 Other Mercury Models V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

on occassion black smoke blows out the tailpipe of my Grand Marquis. Car runs good, no other problems.
Kathunt

Black smoke is caused by excess fuel that has entered the cylinder area and cannot be burned completely. Another term for excess fuel is " running rich.&Quot; Poor fuel mileage is also a common complaint when black smoke comes out of the tailpipe. Black smoke out the tailpipe is the least cause for alarm. Excess fuel will usually effect engine performance, reduce fuel economy, and produce a fuel odor.

How did the fuel get into the cylinder in the first place? Some of the causes of excess fuel are a carburetor that is out of adjustment, a faulty fuel pump, a leaky fuel injector, or a faulty engine computer or computer sensor. If black smoke is present, check the engine oil as in the white smoke example to make sure excess fuel has not contaminated it. Do not start the engine if a heavy, raw fuel smell can be detected in the engine oil. Call your mechanic and advise him of what you have found.

I hope this helps you determine what could be causing your engine smoke, and the possible reasons behind the smoke.