GRAND AIR PROBLEM

Mercury Marquis

I have a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquies with 51,000 miles and a v8

I ran into a problem. My air conditioner quit blowing air. It is still making cold air, just not blowing it. When I have the air on regualr ac I can feel the cold air when I am traveling down the freeway. But when it is on recirculation. This no movement at all. Obviously the air moves when the outside air can push it through. Any idea what this may be? Any way to reset the air conditioner with a button combination? How would I fix this?

Thanks,
J Doss
Jcjdoss

It is auto temp control, my skill level is very low. I am very technicly inclined. If it appears to be over my head my brother in law can do it. I'll give him the info and let him after it. He works on Jeeps just for fun. (I do want to see if I can do it though ; ) )

Here is little more info I forgot to meantion. It was working then it quit for a month then started working again then stopped off and on like that for a while. Now it appears it is not going to come back on. In my limited experience, I would rule out a fuse do to the fact that is would come back on, but you tell me.

Let me know If there is anything else I can tell you

Jcjdoss
Wow, thanks. I would like instructions. While I was waiting for your reply, I found out how to do a self test. It came up with 888 (No errors) Don't know if that is handy to know, but more info is better than less.

Thanks again. I'll be looking forward to getting this fixed

Jcjdoss
I'm getting the motor today. I'll let you know how it goes. What is the longcut?

Jcjdoss
How do I transfer the blower wheel? I am having trouble with the push nut. How do I remove it?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/74957_noname_1.jpg

Jcjdoss
OK bad news, I figured out how to get the blower wheel on and got everything put back together. But it is still not working. Any other ideas?

Jcjdoss
There is no fuse in slot 9. I've had the fuse panel cover on, so I can confirm there never has been

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/74957_20070520_170838_1.jpg

Jcjdoss
I have a 2001 : oops: sorry. 18 is good

I've been doing some research online and think it could be the blower speed controller

Here
Question : What is wrong with my cars heat and air? I have a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis?
It heats up and cools, but even on high, it just barely blows like it is set on low. I think it might be the blower motor. But not sure. If so, what does it take to fix it? Will it be very expensive? My brother said the whole dash will have to come out to get to it. Is that true? I would appreciate anyones input or suggestions since winter is almost here, and I am freezing when I first start my car. Thanks.

Answer: The blower motor is under the hood area on the right side, it has 3 bolts holding it in, and wiring on top of it. You could have a blower speed controller stuck, or switch that is bad, but the first thing to do is take the blower motor out and check the cage on it, and then look inside to make sure thatt there isn't anything restricting air as it blows thru the evaporator core, I have seen mice make nests in blower motors and in the case area. It should only take 30 minutes to remove the blower motor, and doesn't really need special tools, a 8mm or 5/16 socket, ratchet and a couple of extensions.

And here

I have been searching the Forums on and fiddling around with the EATC System Blower Motor Controller circuit on our 2001 GM LS for a year trying to solve the (initially) intermittent operation of the Blower for a year. After running with the Blower hot-wired thru a toggle switch for six months (when the intermittent problem went to complete failure)I finally got around to pulling the Controller Board out of the Heater/AC box last week.
On my last search of the Forums I turned-up a note from a fellow who said "[i: 3032717cf1]most guys just fix it with a little bit of solder[/i: 3032717cf1]" this turned-on a lightbulb for me and today I had a look at the solder-joints where the connector is attached to the Controller Board. Sure enough, I could see that the solder was cracked at one of the big lugs of the connector!
I heated-up the pins at all 5 connector lugs and flowed a little solder into the "gaps" around the pins. When I plugged the Board into the harness I found I have a Blower that once again works under control of the EATC!
Now all I have to do is re-install the Board into the Heater/AC Box - a real tight squeeze. Right now I have it tie-wrapped to something under the hood but the heat sink on the Power Transistor gets REAL HOT - I think the best place in it is back inside that Heater/AC Box.

These are exact discriptions of what I have experienced. Where can I find the blower motor control?

Jcjdoss
I'm having a hard time getting the ratchet in to get the screws. The plug is in the way on the control. I have a birthday party to goto, I'll be back in a few hours

Jcjdoss
Great news. It was the Blower Speed control. I have air again! Thanks for your help.

Jcjdoss
I have read thru another post in this forum about heater and a/c blower motors that stopped working suddenly.

I have a similar problem with a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE with climate control (Electronic Automatic Temperature Control or EATC for short). I have checked the obvious including the inside passenger compartment fuses plus the power distribution box underneath the front hood with particular attention to both the blower motor relay and blower motor fuses. I even swapped them out with other working relay and fuses in the power distribution box. I then measured the voltage being applied to the blower motor itself under the hood. It read anywhere from 1 to 6 DC volts or so. I have a similar blower motor layout in a well maintained 1997 Ford Crown Victoria (without EATC) and that voltage reading was 13-14 volts whether the fan speed control was set on low or high. So I'm suspicious of the lower voltage I measured in my Grand Marquis versus my Crown Vic. Why would there be this big difference?

While traveling down the highway yesterday at 50-60 mph with the a/c set to 70 degrees, I could feel cool air coming from the vents in my 2003 Grand Marquis probably because of some of the air being recirculated from the outside to the inside. The faster I went, the more cool air I could feel coming from the vents BUT still the blower motor wasn't working. So the A/C system is working, it just ain't blowing this cool air around the inside of my car!

I read about a EATC module self test today which I performed with NO Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) indicated. I then disassembled the fan speed control switch, cleaned it with a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol, reassembled everything but still the same result. The heater and a/c is not blowing any warm or cold air whatsoever.

What else am I overlooking? Is it maybe the blower speed controller. And exactly where is it?

Ascorbate
Page 1 of 2