FUEL PUMP QUESTION

Mercury Marquis

I just replaced the original Fuel Pump on my '87 Grand Marquis. It has almost 111,000 miles on it and I replaced the pump with a Carter pump. When I turn the key but DO NOT start the car I can hear the pump " clicking". It is lower but somewhat audible when the car is running. My question is should the pump be completely silent or is this " clicking" abnormal. It is a NEW pump and not a rebuild! Thanks. Bobby
Miamibob

Some noise is normal, it's usually a soft whine not a clicking. Have you pressure tested the new pump?

Merlin2021
No, I have not pressure tested the pump as the car runs perfect. I was just interested in the fact that the NEW Carter Pump is noiser than the original Ford Pump. At idle I can hear it from inside the car - maybe I am being over sensitive?

Miamibob
Yes, it is a " whine", not a click. Hope this helps.

Miamibob
In those years yes you can hear the pump!

Merlin2021
Thanks for the speedy reply! The reason I asked is because when I had the original Ford Pump it was quiet! This pump (Carter) is certainly louder. However, the car runs well so I hope what I hear is normal and not a defective pump with a shorter than normal life span!

Miamibob
Did you get a warrantee? Why not wait and see for a few weeks, I had an 86 Town Car and also did a fuel pump in it. They do whine a bit!

Merlin2021
THEY ALL WHINE AND WHEN YOU HEAR WITH KEY ON ITS DOING ITS JOB ITS PUMPING DONT WORRY BE HAPPY ROLL ON

302ernie