ALTERNATOR PROBLEM

2000 Mercury Cougar

2000 Mercury Cougar 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 71000 miles

I just replaced my alt. And I am experiencing the exact same problems. The headlamps and alt. Light on the dash flickers. The a/c blower motor and engine also surges. Prior to replacing the alt. I fully charged my battery. After charging it, I load tested it and it was good. With the new alt. On and no load, the alt. Shows 14V. As soon as I put a load on it, the voltage starts surging anywhere fron 12V to 16V. I disconnected the main red wire from the alt and installed a temporary wire from alt. To batt. And problem still exists. If I take the alt out of the loop by completely disconnecting the wires from it, the problems go away.I think I may have another bad alt. Although it is new. I'm looking for some confirmation on this or suggestions of what I may have missed. Thanks
Newtrooper

This is a recall issue for the 2000 V6 Cougars. The charging system wiring is at fault and needs to be replaced and re-routed by your local Ford dealer. Contact your dealer and give them your VIN to confirm your vehicle is indeed effected by the recall.

Bluelightnin6
I have already replaced the fuse link that is inline with the alt. Cable. I also tried a new cable without a fuse link and still have the same problem.

Newtrooper
Contact local Ford dealer to have recall fixed as stated above.

Bluelightnin6
I already replaced the in line fusable link as well as a new cable fron alt. To battery.

Newtrooper
Where is the line fusable link at

Chriscundiff