FRONT SHOCKS

2001 Mercedes Benz S500

Suspension problem
2001 Mercedes Benz S500 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 91,000 miles

Intermittent adjustments. Sometimes it the shocks lower then raise. Seems spontaneous. It is parked now and the front end is all the way down. I read the question about the failed pump due to a sticking relay. Seems as though this may be a failing relay? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to do the repairs myself, the car is my landlords, so a little deeper info on how to repair would help as well. Thank you for taking the time to read this thread. I realize there is better things to do than answer peoples questions.
Serath

If the vehicle is on the ground in the front and will not raise then yes you have a failed relay. However the airmatic pump gets fryed when the relay sticks in the on position, burning the pump and the 40amp maxi fuse in this circuit. You will have to replace the 40amp maxi fuse, the airmatic pump and the relay. The relay and fuse are located in the fuse box on the passanger side engine compartment. Look for the 40 amp maxi fuse in this box. If it's blown then this is your problem. If not then you have leaking strut towers for the front shocks. This is not a repair that can be done at home as it requires special MB tools to perform. Let me know what you find and if necessary I can walk you through the replacement of the air pump. It's not terribly difficult to replace.

Gfimotorcars