AIR CONDITIONING

2005 Mercedes Benz C230

Air Conditioning problem
2005 Mercedes Benz C230 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 84,000 miles

I have had bad experience with my c230 compressor since I bought this car. I actually stop using it as it might create more headache as it is expensive to take it to the dealership. My question is the air conditioning it blows air but it is not cold. I don't want to take it to the dealership as they always charge me so much.
Dennis celeste

The problem you describe can be related to many issues but here are some ways to check AC components that may lead you to an answer. First check your AC control panel. If you see AC button or Recirculation button flashing this is an indication of no Freon in the AC system, i.E. A leak in the AC system. These can be tricky to find if you don't know what to look for. Check around fittings on your AC lines for oil residue as your AC system contains PAG oil and during a leak can leave residue behind. If you have no display flashing on the AC control panel I would next move to the AC Compressor under the hood. Once you identify the AC compressor look to the front of the Compressor pully, this is your AC clutch. When the car is running and the AC is off, this clutch will not move with the rest of the pully. When the AC is turned on the clutch assembly will move with the pully. If the clutch is not moving when the AC is turned on this is an indication of Compressor Clutch failure and will require compressor replacement. AC work should only be done at a facility that has appropriate recovery and recharge equipment as Freon is very hazardous to the environment. Also keep in mind if you are doing AC work yourself, once you open up the system (disconnect any AC lines) you need to also change the Receiver Dryer.

Gfimotorcars