CAR WON'T START

1997 Mercedes Benz 320e

1997 Mercedes Benz 320e 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

I bottomed out over a slight down grade in the road. Car began to shake. I was only 4 blocks from my house so I made it home. The next day I tried to start the car and it turned over then stalled. I never had any problems with the car mechanically or with the engine. Someone mentioned to me that I might of thrown off the timing belt. Any suggestions and what am I looking at to repair the car?
Thx's,
Bob
Rmonkelis

Hi rmonkelis, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Do below to determine if its a spark, fuel and compression problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems
with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing
belt/chain.

Your response of how I would diagnois the problem although helpful does not help me. Because either way I have to take the car to a mechanic and have him tell me how he would fix it. So, I would like to know more specifically in your professional opinion what would cause the car to shake after a scrap on a low spot in the road / leading up to the car not wanting to start the next day? Can you give me three suggestions knowing that the car neverr had any engine problems until the scrap / bottom out (Assuming the car was in good working order for all parts). Mechanically what would cause that to happen?

Thank you,

Bob

Rmonkelis
Could be a connection that came loose and not making good contact such as the fuel pump connector, T-belt could have jumped, Overall an electrical connection problem