STARTER

1982 Mercedes Benz 300sd

1982 Mercedes Benz 300sd 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

i have the car since 7 years, change the starter a bosh 2and1/2 year ago, it s will start yesterday and the following day won t, done this last few days, let it set overnight and will start the following day. Nobody can figure out why? Is it electrical or the silinoid or a electrical problem between the switch and silinoid, I start it with a screwdriver also, please is somebody could help me?
Chrdep305

It could be several problems, you tell me " I start it with a screwdriver also" where are you putting the screwdriver?
When the vehicle does start up, dose it start up normally? The next time you will not start, by shifting the transmission to neutral, and then try to start it

Dr Loot
I have a thumble, no ignition switch, put the screwdriver in the thumble.I try in neutral nothing either, thank s

Chrdep305
Sound like you have an intermittent problem in the electrical, when you stick the screwdriver in you must not be making contact all the time, try this; 1. Get a test light; and,
2. Check the starter solenoid, make sure you have power going to small wire (when you have the screwdriver installed) the small wire is the solenoid activation wire; and
3. Check and make sure all the wires are tight on the starter; and,
4. Just for the hell of it, make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight.
If you do not have a test flight you can jump starter with a screwdriver to check and see if you have the power of there.

Dr Loot