FAN BELTS

1983 Mercedes Benz 300sd

1983 Mercedes Benz 300sd V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 237000 miles

the belts broke and were chewed up. Cant determine the size or type. Any ideas?
Tata61

All you will have to do is go to advanced or auto zone and tell then your year, make, and size engine. They will know exactly what belt(s) you need. It should be a serpintine belt, meaning only one, but if you need all of them there shouldn't be more than two or three and only about 10-15 bucks a piece, though for mercedes I gues it could be more and for an 83 you may need more than one belt, prob not serpintine.

Kevin12881
They should also be easy to put on, if you need further help take a pic and upload for I have never worked on that tyoe of engine. Your alt. Should be able to be loosened and moved in, belt put on then pulled out and tightened. You may need a long pole to pull it very tight, same with power steering thought it may be more difficult to get too, if you water pump or fan are tuned by a belt the should be turned by one of the others. You may have a tension pully, not sure, and you will probably have to put on in a certain order if more than one, again advanced may be able to tell you step by step where I cannot, once again ive never even seen under the hood of your kind of car. Please let me know when you are done, need more help, and/or how it went so I and others can help more peolpe.

Kevin12881
I think your right. I dont think its a serpentine, my prob is that auto zone sold me the wrong sizes and only two where I think I need three. The alt is one, cooling system is another and a third, which im not sure what it is.

What do you think.

Timmy

Tata61
Ac, i forgot about that one because i never seem to own a car with ac, though my wife always does. I always go to advanced, but that should n't have mattered. so they gave you the wrong ones? did they seem to have to search, either on the pc or on the rack?............. Alright just searched them on advanced. according to their site you need four, becauser the fan and alt require two of the same belt, then two additional. also according to advanced you can only have an L5 diesle turbo, is this correct? do you have a 300sd, because by advanced's site there are no other obtions for that year and make, or any of the 300 modles. make sure we are talking about the same engine and we'll go fromn there. here is advanced's site with the belts you need, there are two brands with all three belts in a row, and the ones you need two off tell you so if this is the correct modlde http://www.rockauto.com/

Kevin12881
Thanks for the link. I'll verify, but I think your right about 4 belts and teir almost hlf the cost from auto zone. Cn I get part numbers off this site? I'll let you know the outcome.

Tata61
Ya, and let me know how it goes and if you need more help

Kevin12881