BRAKES

Mazda Protege

I have a 2002 mazda protege (rear brakes) I'm not much of a car guy but thought I would do my own brakes (pads) having a friend to come over later to help (show) me but thought I would see what I could do on my own before he got here when I took off the caliper to put new pads on there is not enough room to put back on over the rotor the pads are almost touching? How do I get them farther apart? Thanks for your help
Mike7655

You need to open the brake fluid container under the hood and try to stuff a rag under it the best you can because you will have fluid overflow probably. Next while the caliper is off you need to find a way to depress the piston in the caliper probably using vice grips or a screwdriver. Do this only when the pads are off because you may crack or gouge the pad itself

Syncrait
WEll you could try all you want to push the piston back with a pair of channel lokcs or a screw driver. But buddy it aint gonna happen with the rear calipers on a '01-'03. The rear calipers of a protege have to be turned back using an allen key.

Also the protege's have a rather common problem with seizing the pads in the caliper cages. So make sure the cage is filed/sanded out well

Cosmo