2003 Mazda Other

2003 Other Mazda Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 72000 miles

Hey 2CarPros,

I just bought a used Mazda Protege 5 from 2003. There were alot of unknowns but I got it for an amazing price. The engine was replaced because the original had a rear cam journal rod seize, and the refurbished engine that came from Japan had 22,000 miles on it. I think it was driven pretty hard because when I bought it the oil was low and sticky. There was 1/16 of little metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug, but there were no noises, or knocks and the engine sounded good. I took the chance. To date the refurb engine has 35000 miles on it. I have had spark plugs, struts, battery, trainsmission fluid, tires, brakes and belts replaced recently. With all this taken into account the car has developed a rather annoying because I'm listening for it, phantom sound that I cannot here when the car is parked and idling. Basically when I accelerate between 2000 and 3000 rpm and only during acceleration, there is a tinny shuddering clicking sound like a tin card in a bicycle spoke. I can hear it over the engine lifter sounds, and all other belt sounds. If I accelerate slowly I can hear it more, but if I push down the gas and go for it, the clicks either get to fast to hear or, it stops. If I engage the clutch of course the sounds stops as well as it seems to be linked to acceleration.

What do you think could be causing this sound. It is not a knock. It isn't a ping so much, and I can't locate it, though it sometimes seems to come from the right of the vehicle. There are no noted performance issues at this time.

You may have a bad motor mount causing a vibration/rubbing when accelerating. Try tapping on the exhaust system as well to see if it has a lose heat shield that is rattling when you are on thegas, that is fairly common. Check the exhaust and motor mounts and get back to me