CAR WILL NOT START, I KNOW I KNOW, BUT

2002 Mazda Millenia

2002 Mazda Millenia 6 cyl Automatic

Long story short. We have spark up until the coil, trust me I felt it. However the spark plugs are not receiving spark. The wires are fine, the spark plugs, rotor, and distributor cap are brand new. My mechanic and I are lost as to what do next.

The car's timing was just fixed as it was off. The crank sensor is fine since we're receiving spark up until the coil.

I would appreciate any advice or help.

Thanks for reading.
Erogel334

Hi erogel334, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Okay understand-do below and get back with some testing results we move from here-Got a check engine light?

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems
with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing
belt/chain.

Its definitely not a fuel problem. We here the feul pump go off, we smell it, we definitely have compression, we tested for it. The ignition system is fine since it cranks, for some reason however there is no spark at the spark plugs, but there's spark at the coils. The distributor cap, rotor, and spark plugs are new, the spark plug wires are fine. We are stumped as to what to do next.

Erogel334
Inspect and test the crankshaft position sensor on front of engine

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_cps_53.jpg

I dont mean to be difficult, I appreciate your help. However. If the problem were the crankshaft position sensor. Would we still receive spark at the coil?

Erogel334
For some reason however there is no spark at the spark plugs, but there's spark at the coils. This one is kind of hard to understand either you have it or don't-check and test both the Cam and Crank sensors-

Inspect for shavings on the sensors

Check the CPS resistances should read 950-1250 ohms, also the wiring for shorts and open

Camshaft Position Sensor (Millenia 2.3L)
Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor is located on right front of engine. Disconnect CMP sensor harness connector. Check for continuity between CMP sensor connector terminals " B" (Red/Black wire) and " C" (Yellow/Black wire). If continuity is present, replace CMP sensor. If continuity is not present, check for short or open circuit between following: CMP sensor 4-pin harness connector terminal " B" and main relay 4-pin harness connector terminal " D" (Red/Black wire).
CMP sensor 4-pin harness connector terminal " C" and PCM 34-pin harness connector terminal " 4F" (Yellow/Black wire).
CMP sensor 4-pin harness connector terminal " A" and PCM 34-pin harness connector terminal " 4D" (Black/Blue wire).
Repair open or short circuit in wiring harness as necessary.