FRONT MAIN SEAL

1989 Mazda b2600

1989 Mazda b2600 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 180000 miles

what would cause the front main seal to be pushed out of case while driving?
Blitzen47

Hi Blitzen47,

Thank you for the donation.

If it is a new seal, it could possibly be due to incorrect size or improper installation.

If it is an old seal popping out, it most probably is due to the seal hardening over time and lost its elasticity to hold position. Heating and cooling of the engine due to operations would cause expansion and contractions to cause the seal to loosen up and be dislodged.

The seals were new and correct size, could it possibly be that the Oil Pressure relief valve in not functioning correctly? Giving excessive pressure at driving speeds. Your previous answer was unhelpful.

Blitzen47
The front seals are not subjected to high pressure so the pressure relief valve does not matter here.

If the oil seal is improperly installed, that is installed too far in, it would obstruct the oil passages and under such circumstances the oil pressure would push the oil seal out.

The other possibility of improper installation is not seated deep enough. When this happens, the oil seal would squeeze itself out.

You did not provide me with much information so my first reply was what I could think of. If you require additional information or follow up, just reply to post and I will get back to you.

There is one thing that I missed out.

At the oil seal area there is a return passage. If the return passage is clogged, oil would not be able to return and this would cause the pressure to build up and resulting in the seal being forced out.

I have a 91 mazda b2600 I just built the engine and before it had good oil pressure. Now when it warms up the oil light starts flickering and thin gets stronger longer it idles a 750 rpm. If I idle it up to 1000 rpm light goes off. I built engin cause it turned balencer barring in old block. But used old pump and face plate could this be the relife valve sticking? And im geting oil on cylinders 123 2 is the worst it dont smoke til you let out gas tnd let motor back drag when slowing down then when gas mashed agin it puffs out blue smoke. I had valve job done wnd when I put it to gether I timed it wrong. 180 out on cam and it bent 2 intake and 2 exsaust valves. Tor it down pulled all valves out and checked them and replaced bad valves. Could the smoke be from valve seals or oil rings? I did not oil valves when I put new valves in

Heehaw
The oil in cylinders tells me it's most likely a head gasket issue. You can rent or borrow an oil pressure tester/gauge from most small parts stores. Check the oil pressure at all RPMs and let us know what you find. You shouldn't see anything less than MAYBE 15 PSI at idle.

Rivermikerat