TRUCK WILL NOT PULL UP HILL

1990 Mazda b2200

1990 Mazda b2200 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 150000 miles

I have a 1990 Mazda b2200, I replaced the head gasket, (had the head surfaced, new valve seals and checked for cracks), timing belt, pullies and water pump. The truck seems to run fine on flat ground but will not pull up a hill, it wants to die. I have to ride the clutch to get it up the hill. I have cleaned the EGR valve, new plugs, distributor, and rotor button. I checked the timing and it seems right. I checked for vacuum leaks and couldn't find any. When I turn the air on the idle kicks up but idles erattically about 1200 to 1700 rpm's. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Bksmith

Check the fuel pressure. If in spec, run the gauge up to the windsheild and drive to the point of when the problem happens and monitor the fuel pressure again.

I checked the fuel pressure and it jumps all over the place going from around 3 to about 7 psi. I had it running last night and the exhaust started glowing red just after the first catalytic converter. I removed the second converter thinking it would be clogged but it is not. I can see through it on the other side when I put it up to light. I ran it for a little while with it off to see if it would change performance but it didn't. Thanks for your help.

Bksmith
IF raw fuel is getting into the exhaust, it will make it glow. Raw fuel is usually associated with a lack of spark. Smeel the oil, does it smell of ray fuel. Is it a little thinner than you would expect?

So if the ignition system neds more power in an uphill drive, but it can't be produced well enough, there may be a problem in the coil pack.

IF you jack the car's front end up, maybe you can brake rev it to be able to do some testing.

I checked the coil and it read 1.3 ohms, within spec according to manual. This truck has me stumped. I have tried several different things and figure this one out. Any other ideas on what could be the problem? Thanks.

Bksmith