94 LX - SQUEALING WHEN PUT INTO DRIVE AND REVERSE

1994 Mazda 626

My 94 Mazda 626 (139,000 mi) had it's water pump changed a few months ago. About a month later I started getting a low squealing noise when the car is put into the Drive gear or Rear gear. Now If you drive the car the noise gets very loud and subsides for a few minutes and comes back when you come to a complete idling stop. The water pump is fine, so what else could be causing this problem. I would like to get some ideas before I run it back to my mechanic.

Thanks.
Swp

Maybe your clutch is out on your A/C unit?

10foTuck
The A/C is currently not working, because it needs an air compressor. I'll check this out to see if that's the cause.

Thanks.

Swp
It doesnt have to work but if that belt is turning that pully that unit might froze up causing your squeel.

10foTuck
Thanks for clarifying that. I would have taken it to the mechanic and they probably would have taken the A/C apart if I mentioned that it didn't work, instead of getting to the bottom of my real problem.

I'll let you know what the verdict is.

Thanks again.

Swp