ABS AND TCS OFF WARNING LIGHT

1999 Mazda 323

1999 Mazda 323 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 61438 miles

Hi, The ABS and TCS warning light some times is staying on when the engine is started and car moving. If I turn off the ignition for 10/15 mins and restart the engine the warning lights go off after a few seconds.
Thanking you awaiting your reply
Bryan
Bryan Dunford

Hi Bryan,

An error has been detected in the ABS system and you need appropriate scan tools to retrieve the trouble codes to proceed with diagnostics and rectification.

Hi, Many thanks. It sounds as though it may be expensive before I get to the problem and repair. Since writing the question I drove for three days on about 15 miles journeys each day and the lights never once came on. It is so intermittent that I bet it will not show up on the day I take it in for test.
MOT did not find any fault every thing working OK.
Many thanks again
Bryan

Bryan Dunford
When indicator lights turns on, trouble codes would be stored unless it is a control unit fault.

For ABS problems, appropriate scan tools must be used and not all scan tools can retrieve other than engine trouble codes.

Since problem is intermittent and could be due to loose wirie harness, dirty sensors etc. As it is not recurring now, there is nothing that you need to do now.

Thanks for your prompt reply. It makes sense I will try and find a manual our sheet that will show me where the harness & sensors might be.

Thank-you for your help.
Bryan

Bryan Dunford
There are 2 DLC, one at left rear of engine compartment and the other (DLC 2) is under lower left side of dash.

Bear with me please what is DLC or what does it look like.
Thanks Bryan

Bryan Dunford
DLC = Data Link Connector and it is where scanners are plugged in to retrieve for trouble codes or analyse the engine operations.

It is a 16 pin connector, 8 pins in 2 rows. It should look something link the one shown in 2nd diagram.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_EngComp99ProtegeFig01_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_DLC97Mazda626Fig01_2.jpg

Thanks that is out of my league it is for the work shop when it goes in.
I am so greatful for your very prompt replies.I have left you feed back.

Again thank you very much If it ever does go in for repair I will let you know the results.

Bryan

Bryan Dunford
Thank you for the feedback and have a nice day.