TIMING CHAIN/BELT JUMP???

2006 Mazda 3

2006 Mazda 3 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

I was replacing the A/C compressor on my 2006 mazda 3 with a 2.3. The belt melted to the crank pully and I was cleaning it. I left a ratchet on the crank bolt and spun the motor as soon as I heard it I turned it off. It broke the crank bolt loose and the pulleys and I am assuming the crank trigger are spinning free. But I tried to turn the motor over with the crank bolt and it will go about 180 degrees each way and it locks up. Is there any way I could have jumped the chain or belt when the ratchet hit the frame?
Fkjnvcb1

Hi fkjnvcb1,

Thank you for the donation.

There is no key to lock the crankshaft pulley and when the bolts comes loose, the timing chain has gone out of alignment.

There are no marks to match for getting the timing correct. You need a special tool to hold the camshaft in position before turning the crankshaft to TDC and tightening the pulley bolt.

Hope you have not damaged anything.

Description of the procedures for adjusting the timng seems rather complicated.

This is the SST for the cams.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_CamSST06Mazda3_1.jpg

Quite a number of SST are required for the work.