NOISE FROM ENGINE ? TRANNY ?

2004 Mazda 3

Noises problem
2004 Mazda 3 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 45000 miles

So I have Mazda 3 2004 Automatic 95KKm on it.

And when I drive lets say 60. I slow down and accelerate right away I can hear some knocking / rattling for 2-4 seconds and car is not responsive for those 2-4 after 2-4 seconds it pickups on power. And is ok.

by not responsive I mean I cant feel the power.

Dealer checked exhaust flex pipe etc. Engine mounts.
I took my car to 3 different Mazda dealers none could figure out
last one told me it maybe something related to timing and I should replace my CHAIN and check timing 400$ ! For that and they are not sure if it will help!

I used Redline - fuel system cleaner no change.

when im at full stop and accelerating no noise
i tried premium gas no change.

my car is still under warranty - why I should pay for it !?
Krisekca

Hi Krisekca,

Thank you for the donation.

You are correct, why pay when warranty is still valid. The vehicle is too new with low mileage for the timing chains to be of concern.

Your described symptoms seems to be from engine hesitation as if it is knocking. I would suggest getting on a diagnostic to check the TPS performance. Check the fuel line pressure as well. Was there any Check Engine Lamp indicating?

I think it maybe my automatic transmission?

I drive 60 I slow down. Car will down shift one gear. And I Accelerate I can hear rattling/grinding for 1-2 second. ( Car shifts up ) ( noise is not laud )

Car is equipped with shiftronic. So I went for a ride. I engaged gear 3. Slowed accelerated no noise. I tried same thing on 2nd. Same no noise.

So is it possible that transmissive is broken in Automatic mode. But working in Manual aka TRIPTRONIC/SHIFTRONIC?

Krisekca
Hi Krisekca,

When using manual mode, the engine torque is more consistent so the noise might not appear.

If the noise sounds like ticking, it could be due to engine knocking, result of bad gas or ignition timing too advanced.

When in auto mode, is the kickdown responsive or slower than expected?

Yeah I was thinking maybe its timing 2.
But if it was timing it would happen all the time not matter what gear and it would happen in shiftronic and in auto mode?

Im thinking it maybe transmission - in Auto mode there is noise With Shiftronic no noise.

I should get ping in manual mode when I slow down on 3rd and accelerate. But its not there. ( On auto is there )

i think in auto Tranny tries to engage 4th and it makes noise and engage.

PS, I use only top tier gas

Krisekca
Hi Krisekca,

During acceleration, does the trans downshift responsively?

Could the noise be due to something loose rattling eg, internal damage to exhaust system, etc?