TEMP BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR

1997 Lincoln Town Car

Heater problem
1997 Lincoln Town Car V8 Automatic

Hey Caradiodoc. Donated before for intermedeate steering shaft problem. Anyway, loud clicking noise by glove box. Think it is the actuator. Is there anyway I can remove the glove box only and acess the actuator? What is the easy way to remove glove box. There is a site for this but I could not get into it. Once glove box is removed, I do not object to cutting any plactic panel with dremmel tool behind or inside glovebox area to gain acess. Have also heard of disconnecting power to actuator, and manually opperating door with screwdriver. Old car so it does'nt matter. A little far fetched I guess, but the job is beyond me if done by the book. 5 hours. Pacemaker defibulator, co I cannot stay under a dash for that long. Appreciate your advice on this, and thanks for the intermedete shaft advice. Thanks, Nick
Nickgoins

Sorry. I'm not an expert on heater boxes. I posed your problem to my cousin who had an actuator problem on his '97 Ranger. Here is his reply: By actuator, are we talking the blend door? On the truck there is the blend door that is turned 90 degrees by a motor that is mounted above it. To get
at the door itself, I emptied the glove box, tipped it forward, and at that point, could see the heater/air box assembly. On the back side(seat side) left side, I cut a hole with the solder gun. Made the hold big enough that I could get my hand in. Put hand forward as far as you can reach and feel to the right--that's where the blend door is. A Ford mechanic told me that sometimes people put stuff on the dash, it falls down through an opening and jams the door, sometimes breaking the door. In my case, the top of the door shaft where the motor goes in was partly broken. I glued a small piece of plastic to the motor shaft, trying to get the door to turn with half of the
shaft missing, Make sure to put some lube on there, otherwise will squeak, and bind. My guess is that if it's making some kind of clicking noise, there will be some foreign object in the box. Feel around, and make sure to check behind the door in that compartment. The door without the motor
mounted moves real easy, and on the ranger, will give you full heat without the motor. Hope this helps. You should have plenty of room to work on it
with the glove box tipped forward. If you are going to pull out the whole assembly, not worth the grief or cost. When done, cut a piece of tin, etc, and mount over hole, and fasten with 2 screws.

Actuator is not the door, but the motor that operates the door. Most of the time it is the gear in the motor, but it can also be the door broken also. There is a web http://www.heatertreater.net that sells a metal door and gives information on how to install by cutting out two different sections of the glove box to acess the actuator which is under the door. Anyway, was fooling around with the temp control read=out which will read between 60-90 degrees, Temp was set for 60 and when I raised it to 74 degrees clicking in dash stopped and would not cliick between 74 and 90, but any setting below 74, clicking would start again and continue until at least 74 was set. I can live with 74 for air or 74 or above for heat. Ask your cousin if he thinks it could be a temp sensor or something like that, but anyway as far as I am concerned, it it fixed, knock on wood. Weird. Please answer the following if you can. I would like to know how to unlatch glove box to downward position. Are there tabs you push in or something. Hopefully this will be of help to your memory banks. Thanks, Nick

Nickgoins
Hey guys, I spoke too soon. Actuator is clicking again. After I open the glove box, I need to know how to unlatch the glove box door, or take the glove box out. It is the actuator motor. The way to check it is to stabilize temp. Press Floor and Off at the same time, Let go and immediately press Auto button. Should see a segment check for 20 seconds. All segement will display simultaneously if nlo codes are found. If 024 or 025 code appears accompanied with a clicking sound the blend door actuator motor needs to be replaced. To exit self test, press Defrost toexit test. Ford states the noise is caused by a broken gear within the actuator. My question is how do I remove the glove box door or unlatch it so I can put it in a downward position before cutting out part of the panel inside the glovebox to gain access to the actuator motor? Hopefully it will help you guys with the memory banks in the future. Thanks, Looking forward to the answer. Nick

Nickgoins
Hi Nick. Just got back from visiting my cousin. Look at the sides of your glove box when it is open. If there are slots on the back, you can squeeze the sides in. There are stops on the outside that have to pass through the opening, then the door should fold down.