I MUST PUT GAS IN THROTTLE BODY TO STA

1983 Lincoln Mark VI

1983 Lincoln Mark VI V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

sometimes it will start right up and run fine, but most times it will not start till I put gas in throttle body, once it starts it runs fine, I checked for fuel pressure at the fuel pressure relief valve and the gas hits the fender when I push in steam, I ture over and pressure is right back up, I unhook fuel line at filter turn on key and pumps gas big time, so I think what I need to know is WHAT TELLS THE INJECTOR TO SPRAY THAT FIRST SHOT OF FUEL TO START THE CAR, no I am not just driveing a old cluncker, the car is like new last full size two door made by lincoln, I only use it mabie 1000 a year, so please try and help PLEASE, Thanks for your time eather way.
Buckhunter

Is your model a carbuerated vehicle?

Blackop555
The first post said a throttle body, and trying to find out what tells the injector to give the first shot of gas to start. Thanks

Buckhunter
That would be the cold start sensor or the engine coolant or engine temperature sensor.

Lots of different names.

They are what tells the vehicle to run richer so the vehicle starts and runs better when its cold.

Blackop555
If I put fuel in the throttle body it will start and I drive it all around the yard till it is hot, turn it off and it will not start unless I add fuel by hand.

Buckhunter
When you attempt to start the car cold, if you cycle the key to the run position 4 or 5 times, will the car start then? If so, the pressure is being lost after shutdown and I think it is either a bad injector or fuel pump(in the tank) The fuel pressure needs to be 39psi at the rail. Aside from that I bought a book called " How to tune and modify ford fuel injection" the first edition covers the eec III and eec IV fuel injection systems thoroughly. It should be all you need to get her up and running. Good luck.

Pgpeterg
Thank You PG, I have already put the new fuel pump in the tank, and I have tryed the off and on of the key, that will not do it, and I have pushed the pressure vale before trying to start it to see if it was loseing its pressure from sitting and it was there, I weill try to get the books you said, is there a way to check the injector, also it is notthing to do with a cold start thing as I can put fuel in thorttle body start it drive all around the yard, passing gear everything works fine, now warmed up shut it off try to start it right back up and will not start until I put fuel in the throttle body, LOL I just don `t get it.

Buckhunter
I had the same problem with my 1983 lincoln contental valentino. It was the inline fuel pump. These lincolns have 2 fuel pumps, one in the tank and one inline just b/f the fuel filter. Try changing that one if you havent already and see what that does. Mine was doing the same thing, or it would start but if youd give it gas it would die. Bad ford design is my theory. But what do I know

Ozzyosbourne1999
I have changed the fuel filter that is on the fram on the right side near the rear, is that the one you mean? As I sure did not see anything else on the fram, and I just looked at the book and it only showed the one in the tank, I can`t go check now as it is dark and wet out so I will get under there after work, but that is the filter you are talking about, right side on fram just ahead of the rear tire. Well Thanks for your time

Buckhunter
See here, they say ONE fuel pump? I looked could not see # 2,
Description and Operation
Ford Full-Size Cars 1968-1988 Repair Guide

Central Fuel Injection (CFI) is a throttle body injection system in which two fuel injectors are mounted in a common throttle body.

Fuel is supplied from the fuel tank by a high pressure, in-tank fuel pump. The fuel passes through a filter and is sent to the throttle body where a regulator keeps the fuel delivery pressure at a constant 39 psi (265 kPa). The two fuel injectors are mounted vertically above the throttle plates and are connected in line with the fuel pressure regulator. Excess fuel supplied by the pump, but not needed by the engine, is returned to the fuel tank by a steel fuel return line.

The fuel injection system is linked with and controlled by the Electronic Engine Control (EEC) system.

Buckhunter
It has one plug in with two wires, then four out to the eng 1 green, 1 orange, 1 purple, 1 black with a purple line, on with the thing unpluged, and the key on, I have power on the out side at the green and the black with a purple line, the other two don`t show power is that how it should be?Also with the key on, if I touch the hot side of the coil the light is dim, if I unhook the wire from the module, then touch the hot side of the coil the test light is real bright, ? Got me I don`t know, I am going nuts with this thing, Thanks for looking.

Buckhunter