ARE THERE CERTAIN BRAKES THAT SHOULD BE U

2007 Lexus RX 350

Brakes problem
2007 Lexus RX 350 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 113000 miles

I had my rear brakes replaced in late July 2010. Last night (3 months later) I hear this horrible metal on metal sound coming from my rear brakes (not the normal sound that happens when the car is telling you yr brakes or about go bad). Ever since I had my rear brakes replaced, I’ve not been able to keep the brake dust off the back rims. Of course, this did not happen with the brakes Lexus had on the car when I bought it new. My question: Are there certain type of brake pads that should “ONLY” be used on the Lexus RX 350 SUV? And what would cause my brakes to go bad so quickly. Does it have anything to do with all the extra brake dust?
Hillmm

Hi hillmm,

The extra brake dust is due to the material of the pad used. OEM brake pads would not produce too much dust and are more costly.

Premature wear of brake pads are usually due to sticking caliper piston or slider pins/bolts.

Sometimes brake pads are not fully worn when grinding noises are heard. Brake rotors wears over time and the edges of the outer ring is not worn so they would be protruding. When brake pads wears to a certain level, the metal part of the pads might come into contact with the edges of the rotor and when this occurs, the brakes would grind when metal comes into contact with metal.

You would need to get the brakes checked to verify if the rotors needs to be replaced.