PROBLEMS-COOLANT,

1998 Land Rover Freelander

Engine Cooling problem
1998 Land Rover Freelander Four Wheel Drive Manual 101000 miles

I recently purchased a 98 freelander with K series engine, I understand they have there problems but I am the type of person who likes to maintain the engine. My problem is firstly I noticed my coolant had turned a Brown colour, upon further inspection it was quite sludgy so I cleaned what I could from the header tank and topped up my blue coolant/water. More recently the coolant level keeps going down and needs topping up regulary ( still a little merky). I can not see any leaks on any of the hoses or header tank, one of the hoses had just been replaced when I puchased the Vehicle, I have noticed that the fans have not been active but not sure when they are supposed to be.
Also the Hill decent light remains on and will not go out.
Sunroof makes a noise as if its going to open but does not move.
Any help with the above will be appreciated.
Slyman

Hello .. thanks for the donation .. much appreciated

I would have a compression test of cylinders carried out .. headgasket failure was a common fault on this vehicle .. also check heater core for blockages and rusting internally/leaks ..

hope this helps

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_1173.png

Dave H
Hi, Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't mean to sound dumb but what is the test likley to reveal on a worst case scenario and how much does such a test cost. Why do the fans, hill decent and sun roof not work also.
Thanks.

Slyman
Most shops will do the test free in the hope they get the work. Headgasket replacement is the repair which is costly on this vehicle. Do the fans work with the A/C running? Try powering up the fan motors with a direct battery feed to test the motor. The sunroof and hill decent faults should be storing fault codes on the cars body control module have the car plugged into a diagnostic computer

Dave H