WHINING NOISE WHEN CLUTCH IS RELEASED

2004 Kia Sportage

2004 Kia Sportage 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 125000 miles

As mentioned above when clutch is released the gearbox makes a whining noise and disappears when clutch is depressed. The whining noise is also audible in all gears except in 4th gear. I have been to gearbox specialists who advised that my cluster gears must be replaced with the release bearing. Kia mechanic tells me it is only the release bearing. As the parts to replace will cost approx. R11,000 (rands) it is essential that I must know exactly what the problem is before spending so much money. One more question. If it is the cluster gears, can I drive it with the noise? Will the gears eventually break. I intend to pull a small caravan (750 k/g) on a trip to Namibia. Will the gears last. The whining noise does not bother me at all.
Pine

Honestly, if the noise goes away when you push the clutch in, it sounds like a release bearing. I would start with just that to see if it fixes the problem. It should be much cheaper. As far as your trip, I can't say if everything will be okay not being there to hear it.

Let me know if you have other questions.