WONT START

1997 Jeep Wrangler

1997 Jeep Wrangler 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 138000 miles

i have a new battery, new starter, still will not start. U turn the key and u get a click, then nothing. All lights, gages just go out. Disconnect the battery, reconnect the battery and the same thing happens. I can however jump start the jeep. Once I turn it off, the same thing happens, just a click sound.
Fritz

Hi Fritz,

Check the Negative Cable at the Block make sure it is clean and tight.

If after cleaning and tightening the cable same thing then try connecting a jumper cable from the battery negative to the block somewhere and see what happens.

Also look for ground straps that may go from the hood to the engine or from frame to engine. These ground cables being bad or broken can cause your problem.

Post findings here in forum.

.

Obxautomedic
Are you saying you can start it with jumper cables? Make sure the battery cables/wires are all clean and tight on both ends.

Do you have a voltmeter? Can you take a reading across the battery posts, voltage reading, with everything turned off.

If those readings are ok, leave the meter leads hooked-up on the battery, have a helper turn the key to crank, what happens to the reading?

I conected the jumber cable to the neg and to the block and it started right up. Do I have a short somewhere?

Fritz