ENGINE IDLES ROUGH, JUST REPLACED OXYGEN SENSOR

Jeep Other

1988 Jeep pioneer. When I bought this vehicle it had no spark. I replaced the pickup coil, & the ignition coil, got spark and started vehicle. It idled ruff. I decided to replace the cap, rotor and wires. Still idles ruff. When I give a little throttle it seems to choke itself and wants to stall. Slight backfire. Any info you can give relating this proble is gratefully appreciated.

OK I just replaced the oxygen sensor and it still idles ruff. Whats next.

_Stingray_

How long has the fuel been sitting in the vehicle when you bought it?

Demearsjr
As far as I know it last ran in December of last year. There isn't very much fuel in the tank because the fuel light is on.

_Stingray_
Didn't say if it was backfiring through the exhaust or the carb.
Did you move the distributor while you were changing the pick up coil?

Demearsjr
I removed the distributor off the engine and installed the pickup coil on the bench, and I reinstalled the distribuitor so that rotor is just before the #1 position.

_Stingray_
Well, now it idled so rough it stalled itself and now I can't get it started. Theres still plenty of spark. I do believe there's a major vacuum leak which I cant seem to locate. Now I have to try to get it started again.

_Stingray_
You have some spark now, I would look at the fuel. Put some good gas in it, and maybe a little additive to remove water. Check the fuel pump to make sure it is supplying good pressure.
Things do tend to break when they sit for too long.

Mikeybdman