BATTERY TROUBLE

2004 Jeep Liberty

2004 Jeep Liberty 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 70k miles

This morning I went into my Jeep and it would not start, nothing. I had a guy come and jumpstart and the car started just fine. I let it run for 5 minutes and drove a few miles to the gym. The whole way there the lights in the jeep were dimming slightly. I pulled into the gym and figured that would park the car and let it run for a bit. When I put it in park it died. I tried to jump it 2 more times but it would not start. It sounded like it wanted to but there was almost a clicking or tapping noise coming from the engine area. Any suggestions?
Deaconrmb

Disconnect the battery and put it on a slow charge. {It is better than a fast charge}, overnight. In the morning connect it and it should start. With the dimming lights as you drive it looks like it could be the altinator, the belt or a dead short that drains the battery. You can get the altinator checked at a local auto parts store. They will also check the condition of the battery.

M_H_RITZEL