VALVE LIFTERS

2003 Jeep Liberty

Noises problem
2003 Jeep Liberty 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 140000 miles

My Jeep started with a ticking sound which led to a loud banging sound. I had it towed to a ASC certified school (free labor) in exchange for allowing the instructor to use my Jeep as a teaching tool.
They replaced the valve lifters and I drove it home. After sitting in the driveway for a few hours, I started it up and the banging sound started again.
My son identified the problem as two lifters stuck and replaced them. Again, the Jeep idled great. We turned it off and it sat in the driveway for a few hours before I needed to leave, I started it up to go to town. GUESS WHAT? Do you have any suggestions why I continue to have this lifter problem.
LaraWilliams

The first thing to do is to check oil pressure with mechanical gauge, it sounds like an oil pressure/clogged oil galley problem.

When replacing lifters, is the upper part of engine dry or has a lot of sludge/varnish build up?

Mmprince4000