IGNITION STARTER SWITCH

1997 Jeep Laredo

Try checking the neutral safety switch before going any further as this is a common problem.
Beef99

1997 Jeep Laredo 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive

my jeep will not start or turn over, we checked the starter and it is fully functioning and its getting juice from the battery. What else could it be? We thought it might be the relay switch but how could we tell? Someone else said it may be the ignition starter switch but what do you think

Surflilly
This morning I tried again to start my jeep and nothing, but when I put it in neutral it started right up! And then I tried starting it in park and it started! So i'm wondering if it is the neutral safety switch. And if so why would it not start in park and then start in park when I tried again? And where do I find this switch, is it a fuse or an actual switch? Thanks very much for your information : )

Surflilly
It should be located on your transmission and it is an actual swithc/sensor. You can buy one from your local auto parts store pretty cheap. It sounds as if this is your main problem. You will need to know if yours if full time 4x4 or part time(meaning that you can put it into 2wd). If you invest in a $15 manual, it will describe how to remove it and to replace it. It isn't that hard and pretty easy to get to. The switch for my 97 Grand Cherokee part time 4wd is only $15 where I live.

Beef99
Thanks a bunch for the info! I would have never figured that it was a NSS. I try to do most of my own work on my jeep so I don't have to give the mechanic my arm and leg: ) my jeep is only 2wd. Guess I need to invest in that manual- is it like a chilton or are you referring to something else.

Surflilly
Your welcome, glad we can be of service. As far as the manuals go, Chilton's is your best bet because it has wiring and vacuum diagrams where the Haines manuals usually do not.

Beef99