IGNITION SWITCH REPLACEMENT

1985 Jeep CJ7

1985 Jeep CJ7 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 138K miles

REPLACED IGNITION SWITCH BUT STILL HAVE PROBLEM. NOW THINK JUST NOT POSITIONED ON COLUMN CORRECTLY. WHE I LET OFF THE KEY IN CRANKING IT WANTS TO FIRE. CURRENTLY NO FIRE WHILE CRANKING BUT AS I SAID IT FIRES WHENT I LET GO OF KEY IN AN INSTANT, BUT DOES BOT KEEP RUNNING. WIERD THING IS I MAY BE ABLE TO GET IN IT AND START IT TODAY, DRIVE IT STOP AND IT NOT START AGAIN. WHAT IS THE PROPER WAY TO POSITION THE SWITCH AFTER INSTALATION, BEFORE I TIGHTEN IT DOWN?
BILL PADGETT

We just replaced the switch in an 83 cj7 and when we took out the old switchit was all the way tight against the sliding mounting holes, tight towards the drivers seat, meaning slid as far towards the rear of the vehicle as possible. The other comment I had was, while replacing the new one, the manual said to move the switch into the off position. This was accompolished by moving the switch first to the ACC position which is the farthest position away from the start position(the position that is only momentary, and is moved back automatically after you let go) and then move it two clicks back in the other direction away from " ACC" to put it in the off position. THen install the switch on to the rack rod tip while the key is in the " Lock" position. This should put the switch in the right place. Hope this is helpful. We replaced our switch only to find that our problem was not caused by a bad switch and we have yet to find the cause. If you have any idea what may cause the ignition to try and start the engine when it is only in the " run" or " on" position please let us know. Thanks.

Tomgard
Move switch slider to ACC position. Move switch slider back 2 clicks to OFF-UNLOCK
position. Insert remote rod in switch slider and position switch on column. Do not
move slider. Install and tighten screws.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_IGN_SW_1.jpg

Merlin2021