97 WITH TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

1997 Jeep Cherokee

I have a 97 jeep grand cherokee ltd. With 242000 miles that won't shift out of first gear. Sometimes it will shift into a higher gear when put it in neutral and back into drive. It has a 44re automatic transmission. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?
Brian keener

Hard to say! At that many miles it could be anything. Have you changed the fluid and filter lately? Could be a sensor, the computer. I say your darn lucky to have got that many miles out of it. My 99 van with only 36,876 miles on it is flying apart at the seams. I worked at chrysler in the 70, s and would not have bought one then. I thought they would be better by now.&Quot; WRONG"! I wish I had kept my 87 honda civic with 312,000 miles on it. I paid $27,000 for my van and the kelly blue book price is only $ 6,000 now! My next car will have pedles and a lawnmower engine with a cardboard box body. Good luck. Vandragon

Vandragon